The practice of the hunting of captive-bred lion hunting is “not representative of responsible, sustainable, fair chase hunting … against resolutions of the IUCN … damaging the reputation of hunters, and sustainable hunting” – joint statement by the Dallas Safari Club and CIC – The International Council For Game And Wildlife Conservation.
The undersigned organizations, each advocating for the conservation of nature through the sustainable use of wildlife:
- Recognize that the practice of shooting lions bred in captivity has otherwise been referred to as ‘canned lion hunting’, ‘captive-bred lion hunting’, or using combinations thereof;
- Agree that whatever the terminology used; and whether legal or illegal; the practice is not consistent with the definition of responsible, sustainable, fair chase hunting;
- Highlight that the practise is contrary to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Resolution WCC-2016-Res-013 on ‘Terminating the hunting of captive-bred lions (Panthera leo) and other predators and captive breeding for commercial, non-conservation purposes’;
- Emphasize that the shooting of lions bred in captivity damages the reputation of all hunters;
- Call on any Governments that allow the legal shooting of lions bred in captivity, to consider the wider implications to responsible, sustainable, fair chase hunting;
- Commit to discouraging members of signatory organizations from engaging in the practice of shooting lions that have been bred in captivity;
The signatories agree that this statement may be amended, as further information becomes available, should the signatories jointly agree on and sign the revised text.
Other organizations in agreement with this statement are encouraged to join as co-signatories. Organizations are invited to contact one of the existing signatories should they be interested in joining.
To comment on this story: Login (or sign up) to our app here - it's a troll-free safe place 🙂.
HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF AFRICA GEOGRAPHIC:
- Travel with us. Travel in Africa is about knowing when and where to go, and with whom. A few weeks too early / late and a few kilometres off course and you could miss the greatest show on Earth. And wouldn’t that be a pity? Browse our famous packages for experience-based safaris, search for our current special offers and check out our camps & lodges for the best prices.
- Subscribe to our FREE newsletter / download our FREE app to enjoy the following benefits.