Photographer of the Year 2019 – RULES
• Individuals employed by Africa Geographic may not enter. Employees of sponsorship partners may enter, except if they are immediate family members of owners/shareholders of those sponsors.
• Entries submitted to Africa Geographic using the online entry form should not exceed 2MB in size (per photo). The organisers cannot be held responsible for entries that do not arrive due to an entrant’s internet security settings or restrictions placed by their internet service provider, or that are incorrectly uploaded by the online form or that do not include #AfricaGeoPhoto when entering the Instagram competition.
• Entries must be received by midnight CAT on Tuesday, 30 April 2019, or such date as Africa Geographic may advise on Facebook or Instagram.
• All entries must be the original work of the participant, who has not relinquished relevant rights to a third party, and by submitting the entry the participant claims that this is so.
• Multiple entries are permitted.
• Entrant photos may be taken anywhere on the African continent and associated islands.
• Entries depicting any form of wildlife should be of “wild” animals – no photos of captive wildlife (including farm animals, household pets, and zoo animals) will be considered. Photos of rescue/rehabilitation animals may be considered at the sole discretion of the organisers.
• Entries must be submitted in JPG or PNG format as per the requirements on the online form. The organisers may request RAW and high-resolution photos if these are required.
• No borders, watermarks or signatures should be included on photos submitted.
• Entries should be a faithful representation of the original scene. Localised adjustments should be used appropriately. The objective is to remain faithful to the original experience, and to never deceive the viewer or misrepresent the reality.
• The competition organisers reserve the right to refuse photos that in their sole judgement are unsuitable for publishing in this competition, for whatever reason they deem fit.
• Entries that have previously won other national or international competitions at the time of entry will not be considered.
Sponsors and third-party use
• Entrants grant Africa Geographic and the competition sponsorship partners non-exclusive permission to publish their submitted photos on their websites and social media channels, in association with the Africa Geographic Photographer of the Year competition, without compensation of any kind to the participant.
• Entrants grant Africa Geographic a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish and communicate to the public by any means and exhibit their awarded entries in all forms of media throughout the world, including event activations, in relation to the Africa Geographic Photographer of the Year competition.
• The organisers regret that they cannot accept liability for the misuse of photos by third parties and/or failure of any third party to credit photos.
• Entrants grant Africa Geographic a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce and publish their submitted photos in a printed book, at Africa Geographic’s sole discretion, without compensation of any kind to the participant. Print resolution photos will be required, and refusal to supply such print resolution photos will result in disqualification as a competition entrant.
• Africa Geographic acknowledges that the promotion of the Africa Geographic Photographer of the Year is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram or Facebook.
Agreement of participation
• By entering the Africa Geographic Photographer of the Year, participants confirm that they have agreed to the rules of the competition. Any entry found not to comply with the rules may be disqualified at any stage of the competition and any prizes will be forfeited.
• Entrants grant Africa Geographic the right to add their details to the Africa Geographic newsletter subscriber database, from which they are free to unsubscribe at any time, by following the prompt in the footer of each newsletter.
• Entrants agree that they will participate in related publicity and agree to the use of their name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity of the Africa Geographic Photographer of the Year competition – without compensation.
Judging and prize
• All judges will be from the Africa Geographic team, although we reserve the right to appoint third party judges, at our sole discretion.
• The judges’ decisions are final and binding. No negotiation will be considered.
• Successful entrants will be notified in strict confidence in May 2019. It is a condition of entry that the entrant does not disclose the details of any shortlisted or winning entries to any third party until such time as the announcement has gone public. Winners will be contacted via the manner/channel in which they submitted their photos.
• The prize is non-transferable. The organisers reserve the right to substitute the listed prize with an alternative of equal monetary value (but the entrant shall not have any right to demand this). The prize must be claimed within the dates specified, or it will be forfeited.