Photographer of the Year
Brought to you by Land Rover and Canon
1. The Africa Geographic Photographer of the Year Competition, sponsored by Land Rover and Canon, is open to photographers aged 18 and over. Individuals employed by Africa Geographic and the competition sponsorship partners, as well as the partners and family members of those individuals, will not be eligible for entry.
2. By entering the Africa Geographic Photographer of the Year Competition participants confirm that they have agreed to the rules of the competition. Any entry found not to comply with the rules at any stage of the competition may be disqualified and any prizes will be forfeited.
3. Entries that are to submitted to Africa Geographic using the online entry form should not exceed 2MB in size. The organisers cannot be held responsible for entries that do not arrive due to an entrant’s internet security settings or restrictions placed by their internet service provider or that are incorrectly uploaded by the online form or that due not include the #AfricaGeoPhoto when entering the Instagram competition.
5. All entries must be the original work of the participant and the participant must exclusively own all copyright.
6. Participants grant Africa Geographic and the competition sponsorship partners non-exclusive permission to publish their submitted images in all their online media channels and social media channels, in association with the Africa Geographic Photographer of the Year Competition, without compensation of any kind to the participant. In addition by entering the competition, the entrant grants the organisers a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish and communicate to the public by any means and exhibit their awarded entries in all media throughout the world, including event activations, in relation to the competition.
7. Participants grant Africa Geographic non-exclusive permission to publish their images in a printed book to be published within 12 months of their submission date, without compensation of any kind to the participant. Print resolution images will be required.
8. Participants grant Africa Geographic the right to add their details to the Africa Geographic newsletter subscriber database, from which they are free to unsubscribe at any time, by following the prompt in the footer of each newsletter.
9. Entrants agree that they will participate in related publicity and agree to the use of their name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity of the competition without compensation.
10. The organisers regret that they cannot accept liability for the misuse of images and/or failure of any third party to credit photographs.
11. Entrant photographs may be taken anywhere on the African continent. Multiple entries are allowed but only 1 entry per person will qualify as a finalist. Candidates should not enter the same photographs on Instagram as they do via the online entry form.
12. Entries must be submitted in JPG or PNG format as per the requirements on the online form. The organisers may request RAW and high-resolution images if these are required. No borders, watermarks or signatures should be included.
13. Entries should be a faithful representation of the original scene. Localised adjustments should be used appropriately. The objective is to remain faithful to the original experience, and to never deceive the viewer or misrepresent the reality.
14. Entries depicting any form of wildlife should be of “wild” animals – no images of captive wildlife (including farm animals, pets, zoo animals) will be considered. Rescue animals may be considered at the sole discretion of the organisers.
15. The competition organisers reserve the right to refuse images that in their sole judgement are unsuitable for publishing in this competition, for whatever reason they deem fit.
16. Entries that have previously won any of the categories from another national or international competition at the time of entry will not be considered.
17. The judges will be headed up by the Africa Geographic team, in partnership with the competition sponsors.
18. The decision of the organisers and judges of the competition on all matters relating is final and binding. No negotiation will be considered.
19. Successful entrants will be notified in strict confidence in May 2017. It is a condition of entry that the entrant does not disclose the details of any shortlisted or winning entries to any third party until such time as the announcement has gone public.
20. The prizes are non-transferable. The organisers reserve the right to substitute any listed prize with an alternative of equal monetary value (but the entrant shall not have any right to demand this). Prizes must be claimed within the dates specified or will be forfeited. Winners will be contacted via the manner/channel in which they submitted their images.
21. Africa Geographic acknowledges that the promotion of the Africa Geographic Photographer of the Year Competition 2017 is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram or Facebook.