“Aardvark” is the first word in the English dictionary – ‘A is for aardvark‘. It’s also a fascinating and elusive animal that many experienced travellers to Africa desperately want to see. Here are some amazing facts about this wonderful creature:
1. Aardvarks can eat up to 60 000 ants and termites in one night, thanks to its 30cm-long sticky tongue
2. They can seal their nostrils, to keep out dust and ants
3. They have poor eyesight but a very keen sense of smell and good hearing
4. Their spoon-shaped claws are like steel – and used to rip into extremely hard ground and termite mounds
5. Their burrows, often in termite mounds, can be up to 13m long and have several entrances
6. They change burrows frequently, providing opportunities for subsequent residents like wild dogs, pythons, warthogs and South African shelduck
7. They are nocturnal and travel up to 16km every night, foraging for food
8. They grow up to 2m meters long and weigh up to 60kg
9. With the body of a pig, ears of a rabbit, tongue of an anteater and tail of a kangaroo, this creature is in fact the only species in its order and probably most closely related to elephants
ALSO READ: Aardvarks and climate change
To comment on this story: To protect you against trolls & misinformation, we only permit comments in our app. See how to DOWNLOAD OUR APP below.
HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF AFRICA GEOGRAPHIC:
- Download our APP (mobile phone & desktop) to receive travel discounts, comment on our stories, make safe donations and network with others like you Find out more here.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our best stories in your inbox weekly and for travel discounts. Subscribe here.
- Travel with us. Travel in Africa is about knowing when and where to go, and with whom. A few weeks too early / late and a few kilometres off course and you could miss the greatest show on Earth. And wouldn’t that be a pity? Search for your ideal safari here, or contact an Africa Geographic safari consultant to plan your dream vacation.