Written by: Catherine Browne
The Botanical Society of South Africa seeks to provide opportunities and support for people to engage constructively with their immediate environment on important topics of interest. Membership to the society is about so much more than just entry into their gardens. Here are 10 reasons to become a member of the Botanical Society of South Africa:
1. Your support could increase the outreach of the Botanical Society of South Africa in terms of environmental education to schools and communities.
2. You will be offered opportunities to learn more about the environment and conservation.
3. Meet like-minded people who have passion for biodiversity and the outdoors.
4. Enjoy free entrance to all 10 South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) National Botanical Gardens all year round.
These include: Kirstenbosch (Cape Town), Harold Porter (Betty’s Bay), Karoo Desert (Worcester), KwaZulu-Natal (Pietermaritzburg), Free State (Bloemfontein), Lowveld (Nelspruit), Pretoria, Hantam (Nieuwoudtville), Walter Sisulu (Krugersdorp) and Kwalera (Eastern Cape – not yet open to the public).
5. Free seeds collected from Kirstenbosch garden plants are available for South African residents (terms and conditions apply).
6. Enjoy discounts at participating BotSoc bookshops and participating outlets and restaurants at National Botanical Gardens.
7. Recieve the inhouse BotSoc Veld & Flora quarterly magazine with lots to learn and keep in touch about member walks, talks and activities.
8. Get involved in volunteer opportunities from potting, weeding, herbarium work, garden nursery support, guiding, and lots more.
9. There are opportunities to be a citizen scientist with some of the Botanical Society of South Africa programmes and you can join exciting field trips.
10. Be the change and support the Botanical Society of South Africa – make a difference have fun at the same time!