An independent survey of 1 000 South Africans who earn R15 000 or more was conducted by Avios Group Limited, uncovering some interesting stats such as the fact that almost 1 in 5 holiday makers have spent more than R50 000 on an international holiday for themselves or the fact that one in three South African’s pay for their holidays with a credit card.
Some interesting findings:
- Of the 1 000 South Africans surveyed, 34% go on holiday once a year while 36% go on holiday twice a year
- Interestingly, when they go on holiday, many only go for between three and five days
- South African holiday makers love local coastal holidays
- 83% of South African travelers look for holiday information on the internet, 39% through word of mouth via family and friends and 34% via magazines
- South African holiday makers are planners, with 75% planning their holidays well in advance. Females are significantly more likely to do the planning by themselves
- 69% of holiday makers are going on fewer holidays because it has become too expensive. Those with children are even more likely to agree with this, and they are very likely to need to budget when planning a holiday.
The reason why Avios Group Limited commissioned the survey is because its Avios Travel Rewards Programme aims to make travelling more accessible to South Africans. The programme launched in South Africa in late August this year allows travellers to collect Avios points to use for flights in South Africa, Europe and world-wide.