So there I was, flat on my back, staring at the bright full moon and Milky Way, and thinking, “Surely a safari can’t get any better than this?”
I was on a brief sojourn in the Timbavati Private Game Reserve in the Greater Kruger and had accepted a last-minute offer to spend the second night somewhere out there on a wooden platform (star bed) next to a large leadwood tree – with only a mosquito net to keep the wolves at bay. And to my surprise the love of my life chose to accompany me – this being a big thing because she was swept away by the food and pampering we enjoyed during the first night, at the wonderful Tanda Tula Safari Lodge.
OK, so our star bed also involved an exquisitely comfortable bed, thick luxurious bedding and a picnic basket stuffed with a delicious three-course meal and our choice of wines. But it was still pretty minimalist, as far as “luxury safaris” go, right?
Back to my musings, how do we define luxury? Is it rim-flow pools and vast personal suites? Or Cordon Bleu chefs, personal butlers and wines dating back to the days when I had a six-pack? Or is luxury just about having that moment to yourself and a chosen few? I have one friend who seems to feel that the more you pay, the more luxury the holiday, so perhaps a high price is the best rule of thumb.
I have to say that I pursue memorable experiences as the ultimate luxury. I am generally happy in the bush with companions who can teach me things and share their genuine passion for Africa. I suspected that my dearest would add a few things to this list, and so I asked for her ‘luxury Big 5’ thoughts, specifically related to this short stay at Tanda Tula, to which she replied:
1. Food: I thought the food was delicious and the executive chef’s obvious enthusiasm and love for his craft was extremely charming.
2.Tented lodge, our room: extremely high quality and comfortable bedding, plus the classy fittings – lamps, carpets, tables and knickknacks. Well stocked mini-bar for that lazy afternoon on our private deck overlooking the river.
3. Bathrooms: Fluffy towels, luxurious soaps and gowns, slippers.
4. Staff and the owners: very friendly and warm. This is a genuinely happy and passionate team and I felt comfortable with them. One fun evening spent singing and dancing in the boma with the entire team was a particular highlight.
5. Star bed: loved the picnic and that comfy, classy bed.
Each morning we chose to enjoy breakfast away from the lodge, at a site on the river bank. That heady mix of freshly-brewed coffee, wood smoke and sizzling country breakfast combined with the stunning location was awesome, and one for the memory bank.
So why do star beds and bush breakfasts make my day? Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE lodges – very seductive and, let’s face it, it’s tough to leave after a few days of pampering, awesome game viewing (we saw the Big Five every day – always special but in my case not necessary) and the best service in the world.
I ask because when I think back over my quarter-century plus of safaris in so many wonderful places on this great continent I call home, my most hard-coded recollections are of awesome experiences shared with special friends and awesome guides. One moment I can add is that night with my wife Lizz, high up on a wooden platform somewhere out there in the Timbavati – serenaded by lions, hyenas, Verreaux’s eagle owls and ground hornbills.
For accommodation options at the best prices, visit our collection of camps and lodges: private travel & conservation club. If you are not yet a member, see how to JOIN below this story.
To comment on this story: Download our app here - it's a troll-free safe place 🙂.
HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF AFRICA GEOGRAPHIC:
- Travel with us. Travel in Africa is about knowing when and where to go, and with whom. A few weeks too early / late and a few kilometres off course and you could miss the greatest show on Earth. And wouldn’t that be a pity? Browse our famous packages for experience-based safaris, search for our current special offers and check out our camps & lodges for the best prices.
- Subscribe to our FREE newsletter / download our FREE app to enjoy the following benefits.