The single supplement is the bane of solo travellers. Here are five ways for single travellers to find deals without paying a single supplement.
1. When you start dreaming about a trip, create a Google Alert with the term “single supplement waived”. Then when a notice that the single supplement is waived goes up on the web, you’ll receive an email alert from Google. Narrow it down to the country you want to visit and what type of holiday you are after to get more specific results, i.e. “Botswana safari single supplement waived”.
2. Sign up on the the Lelobu “Join a Safari” page. We post safaris that other single travellers are looking at booking and you can either join another travellers trip or we will post your dates on the page so other travellers can join you. Lelobu will then waive the single supplement if you’re willing to share accommodation with another person of the same gender. If being paired up with someone isn’t your first choice then we can discuss other options.
3. If the travel company you want to go with doesn’t offer the above matching service, you may find a travel partner through friends, Facebook or other specialty sites on the web. Simply Google “find a travel partner” and you’ll find many options. But please, don’t just go with anyone. Be picky about who you’ll spend your travel time with and how you’ll spend it.
4. Travel during low season. Some lodges offer solo traveller holidays with reduced or no single supplement in low season, and a few lodges will even extend this throughout the year. If your tour or lodge doesn’t initially waive the fee, it’s worth it to always ask; they might be willing to drop the free if they are quiet, or they may have another solo traveller looking to share.
5. Another great way to avoid paying a single supplement is by joining a group tour. Apart from skipping the single supplement, joining a group will also provide you with security and peace of mind. You may join the tour alone, but by the end you’ll feel as though you’re travelling with a group of friends.
- Subscribe to our newsletter.