Need some help
This is the help section.
AFRICA'S ULTIMATE TRAVEL MAGAZINE
Welcome to Safari, a sizzling hot interactive magazine from Africa Geographic’s award-winning publishing stable.
Here, you will find rich multi-media content with animated travel features – packed full of exciting videos, sound effects, music and stunning photography.
Our team of Africa-trotting travel writers are dedicated to bringing you the very best stories from the continent. So, if your wanderlust yearns for Africa, feed it with Safari!
- It's free
- No registration required to view online
- View offline via download
- Published bi-monthly
- Tell your friends about Safari pages on Facebook and Twitter via icons on right-hand side
- Share your travel stories, videos and photography with us via email -[email protected]
Terms and conditions
Let’s go briefly into lawyer-mode, to protect your rights and ours. Sorry about that, but its best for all of us.
- Safari content is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- We do not provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on Safari for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any Safari information or materials is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through Safari meet your specific requirements.
- Safari contains material that is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to text, photographs, video, graphics, the design, layout, look and appearance. Reproduction is prohibited other than as authorised by us. Unauthorised use of such material may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- Safari may also from time to time include links to websites and other digital media. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse those other media and we have no responsibility for the content of the other media.
- Your use of Safari and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
We know that you care how information about you is used and shared and we appreciate your trust that we will do so ethically and sensibly.
This Policy explains our treatment of information that is collected when you visit Safari and may include data that is personally identifiable ("Personal Information"). By using our products and services, you are accepting the practices described here.
If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy policies, please contact us at [email protected]
Information we collect
We collect information from users like you, which may include Personal Information, at different points on Safari and through our software as follows:
1. Information you supply us
We receive and store information you enter on Safari or supply by any other means, such as:
2. Registration data
When you register for Safari we ask that you provide basic contact information such as your name and email address.
3. Financial data
When you order products and services via Safari we may ask for your address and billing information, including your credit card number, CVV number and expiration date. WE NEVER STORE ANY OF THIS FINANCIAL DATA ON OUR SERVERS. Credit card details are requested on a secure page and then passed onto our payment processor (see Security Practices below).
4. Voluntary information
We may collect additional information at other times, such as (but not limited to) when you provide feedback, change your contact or email details, respond to a survey or communicate with us via email.
5. Information collected automatically
We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us via Safari.
6. Computer configuration
We automatically receive and log information from your browser, including your IP address, your computer details, your operating system, browser type and version, CPU speed and connection speed.
7. Referral, clickstream and site interaction data
We may also record the URL link of the site from which you clicked to get to Safari, as well as your clickstream through and from Safari and other generally accepted tracking information.
8. E-mail delivery and open rates
To help us make our emails more useful and interesting, and to ensure that we are delivering the products and services that you ordered, we may receive a confirmation message when you receive and/or open email from Safari.
9. Software installation, file downloads and publication access
When you install or download Safari and other files from us, we may record the start and completion of each file transfer and whether or not you downloaded and accessed those files.
10. Information from other sources
We may receive information about you from other sources, add it to our account information and treat it in accordance with this policy.
11. Customer and order data from our partners
If you place an order for our products and services with an affiliate marketer or other purveyor, for which we provide fulfillment or other services, your account information and order information is passed on to us.
12. Updated delivery and address information
We may obtain updated contact information from third parties in order to correct our records and fulfill your orders or deliver communications to you.
13. Demographic and purchase information
We may reference other sources of demographic and purchase information in order to provide you with more targeted communications and promotions.
We do not use or collect your precise geographic location. We use a geolocation service from maxmind.com to determine your closest city based on your ISP connection though for our browser offering in order to serve content closest to your location.
How we use your information
Safari uses your personal information to:
- Deliver Safari and other products and services that you order or that are sent to you as sample or pass-along issues.
- Verify access to secure content and your account information.
- Determine whether your computer meets the minimum system requirements needed to use Safari.
- Provide you with tailored content and instructions, renewal options and targeted promotions.
- Service your customer support requests.
- Ask you to participate in surveys about our products and services.
- Offer you product upgrades.
- Better understand, on an anonymous and aggregated basis, how Safari is being used, including web traffic and reading patterns, so that we may continually improve our products and services.
See below for a description of Safari’s practices regarding email communications to our users and how to update your preferences with respect to such email communications.
How we share the information we collect
We may share your Personal Information for the following purposes only:
1. Special functions performed on our behalf by a third party. Agents (companies or individuals) may be employed by us to perform functions on our behalf, such as fulfilling orders, sending emails, processing credit card payments and providing customer service. They will be allowed access to the Personal Information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
2. Protection of Safari and others. We release account and other Personal Information when we believe that it is necessary to comply with the law; to enforce or apply our Terms of Service or other agreements; or to protect the rights, property or safety of Safari, our users or others.
3. Business transfers. Safari may transfer information it collects, including any Personal Information, in connection with a business combination transaction or sale of all or most of the assets of the company. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of Safari may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy. No credit card information will ever be transferred.
4. Trusted third parties. ONLY with your consent, will we make your Personal Information (never your credit card information) available to trusted third parties who offer products and services we think may be of interest to you so that you can receive information or opportunities related to those products and services.
5. No ad companies collect data through our service. We do not at present allow advertising companies to collect data through our service for ad targeting. This may change in future, but you will be notified.
With your consent
Other than as set out above, you will receive notice prior to our sharing your Personal Information with any third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information. We reserve the right to use and disclose anonymous information, including aggregate information derived from your Personal Information, to inform publishers, partners and other interested parties about the usage habits or characteristics of Safari’s user base; and to serve other general business purposes.
E-mail communications to our users
Safari does send email communications to our Safari users. Here, we outline the types of email we send to our users and the selection of messages you can choose to receive. Note that you can opt out of email notices – refer to the foot of each email.
1. Messages required to service your orders. Safari will send you an email notifying you of the availability of each Safari issue or other product that you order either directly from us or from one of our publishing or other merchant partners. We may also send you communications related to your order, for example encouraging you to pay for, register for the auto-renewal option or renew your subscription.
2. Messages required to service your Safari account. Safari may send newly registered users a welcoming email, as well as messages confirming each order placed with us; confirming your account changes; inviting you to participate in customer surveys; and informing you of important product or service updates.
3. Marketing messages about Safari and our other products.
Changing or removing your information
To change or remove your registration details please email us at [email protected] Your Personal Information will then be removed from our active user database and will be deleted assuming that you have a) met all payment obligations, b) that Safari does not believe it reasonably necessary to keep such information for any pending legal action and c) that we are under no other legal obligation to retain such information.
Safari uses reasonable and current security methods to protect your personal data. Your information will be stored in a database located behind multiple firewalls and accessible only to authorised personnel. We do not encrypt normal web sessions, but any transmission from our servers of credit card or other Personal Information makes use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software from Thawte, which encrypts the information you supply. Password information is then stored in our database in an encrypted, non-human readable form. Our payment processor, PayPal manages and secures credit card data for transaction fulfilllment. In the case of our iPad app, your payment data is held on your iTunes Account at Apple.
Safari does not knowingly collect, either online or offline, Personal Information from persons under the age of 13 years.
Notification of Changes
Last updated: 13 March 2012.
Our support and design team is based in Cape Town, South Africa (GMT+2), and you can contact them on these numbers during normal working hours:
Safari interactive magazine c/o bigFIG South Africa
Tel. +27 (0)21 762 2180, fax +27 (0)86 511 7556 (SA only) First floor, Devonshire Court, 20 Devonshire Road, Wynberg, 7800, Cape Town, South Africa
Our registered business address is:
Safari interactive magazine c/o bigFIG Digital Media
Tel. +44 (0)20 7193 4561
336A Regents Park Road, London, N3 2LN, United Kingdom
Use our Adobe AIR downloadable version of Safari
Safari is designed so that it can be downloaded and viewed offline too. This function is for people who may want to take the magazine somewhere without Internet access, to view at leisure. Once you have downloaded the full file, you can view it anywhere and show your friends from any location.
Be aware that since Safari is full of amazing video, sounds, animations and images, it is has a filesize, around 60-80MB.
Once you have downloaded and saved it on your computer, it remains available at all times – in other words, you don't have to go online every time you want to read it.
However, the interactive magazine does include some links to external websites; you will need to be connected to the internet to view these, and to send us feedback. Social sharing (eg. Facebook/Twitter) is only available via the website version at present.
Because Safari has been designed on the Adobe AIR platform (see below), it will work happily on Windows, Mac or Linux computers – one download fits all.
What is 'Adobe AIR'?
During the Safari download process, you may be asked to download an extra piece of software called Adobe AIR. (Adobe are the creators of Acrobat PDF and Flash.)
This 'plug-in' is required for viewing the digimag.
Don't worry, it is free, fairly quick to download and certainly won't result in you getting any junk email.
Also, you only have to download AIR once (apart from the occasional improvement update that Adobe may develop).
Our apologies, this issue of Safari has no download version (yet).
We were in the process of fundamentally changing the technology that the download version of Safari was built on, and had experienced some last-minute bugs. Rather than delay the launch of this online issue, we opted to go live without the download version.
Please accept our apologies for this.
Send the Editor your comments
You can also contact us directly using [email protected].