I squished by freshly painted toes through the sand. The green hue I chose for my nails matching the sparkling sea lapping the beach on which I stood. “The colour of hope,” the Spa therapist had told me, and a fitting match for my days spent in the sunshine at Constance Le Prince Maurice in Mauritius. If the azure waters, sheer luxury and spectacular food of this resort don’t give you a renewed outlook on life then I don’t know what will.
I had to try out the spa, considering it had been voted the Best Pedicure in Mauritius by Condé Nast Traveller. The hotel itself actually boasts a staggering array of awards including the Indian Ocean’s Leading Luxury Resort in the 2016 World Travel Awards and the number one Luxury Hotel in Mauritius in the 2016 TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards. And TripAdvisor users perhaps sum up the experience best with their comments: “Paradise on Earth”; “The setting takes your breath away on arrival and you never get bored with it”; “Magical from the moment you walk up the stairs”; “A true prince amongst princes”and my personal favourite; “In the end unfortunately there is just one significant drawback of Le Prince Maurice: We are condemned to come back. Again.”
Here are 5 things that made my stay at Le Prince Maurice truly memorable and will definitely see me returning again and again:
1. Space, glorious space. The hotel is situated on 60 hectares of land with a lengthly sheltered beach, two fantastic swimming pools and a mangrove forested area which borders the fish reserve. This means you will never struggle to find a private space to curl up with a good book while basking in the Mauritian sun.
2. Snorkelling like a mermaid over the coral reefs, delighting in the colourful fishes, corals and urchins found below the surface, is also something that is included for guests. For those who really can’t be persuaded to get in the deliciously warm water, you can simply enjoy the view from the glass bottom boat.
3. When you are done snorkelling, the resort caters ever more to water babies with windsurfers, sailing boats, kayaks and water skiing all included in the rates. Sailing out over the glassy waters, a turtle pocked his head out to say hello, making me feel as if I was one with the ocean.
4. Dinner on a floating platform at the Le Barachois restaurant was a one-of-a-kind experience. Set overlooking the fish reserve, you enjoy your gourmet meal and cool cocktail while resident fish, sharks and sea snakes swim in the waters surrounding your table. Read more about Le Barachois here.
5. Above all, I felt welcomes from the minute I stepped through the door at the stunning Le Prince Maurice. Staff become family and no request was too big or too small. This may be a luxury five star resort but it feels like home!
- Subscribe to our newsletter.